The Facts on Facing Sensitive Teeth
At least 40 million U.S. adults experience tooth sensitivity. This painful problem is prevalent, but it’s also only temporary. Discover the many different ways to deal with sensitive teeth.
The Root of Pain
The most common symptom of sensitive teeth is a sharp, stinging sensation when teeth are exposed to air or touch, as well as when they come into contact with hot, cold, or acidic foods and beverages. This pain can be blamed on the erosion of tooth enamel and gums, which exposes an underlying layer of dentin that is connected to the nerves, which prompts pain in the tooth.
Triggers of Trouble
Tooth sensitivity can strike anyone at any time. Many factors can cause your condition, but experts in family dentistry typically point to these problems:
- Roughly brushing your teeth with a hard-bristled toothbrush.
- Harsh tooth-whitening products.
- Long-term use of an abrasive toothpaste or acidic mouthwash.
- Excessive plaque buildup.
- Gum recession.
- Chipped or cracked teeth.
- Teeth grinding or clenching.
- Highly acidic foods and beverages.
- Certain dental procedures.
Tactics for Treatment
You don’t have to put up with pain any longer. Sensitive teeth are treatable and there are many options available. Since cases and causes differ, you’ll need an examination by a family dentistry expert. Only then can you determine the best treatment for you. Some can be performed at home, while others are in-office treatments, but these are the most common options:
- Trying a desensitizing toothpaste.
- Brushing gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Using a fluoridated mouthwash daily.
- Having a fluoride gel or varnish applied to the teeth.
- Avoiding highly acidic foods and beverages.
- Controlling teeth grinding and clenching with a mouth guard.
- Using bonding, inlays, or crowns to correct dental problems.
- Getting surgical gum grafts.
- Receiving a root canal.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in South Ocala, call Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road today at (352) 433-4934 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Ocala. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road.