Learn About Dental Care for Seniors and Keep Your Smile for Life
Your teeth were designed to last a lifetime, but advancing age can present a number of potential threats to your oral health. Age alone is not a determining factor in the health of your teeth and gums. Many seniors assume that tooth loss and oral disease is an inevitable part of the aging process, but this simply isn’t true. If you see your dentist regularly, and practice excellent oral hygiene, you can enjoy a healthy, natural smile well into your senior years. As a bonus, good oral health can help improve your general health, and enhance your quality of life.
Oral Health Challenges
If you suffer from any of the following, discuss the symptoms and treatment options with your dentist.
- Gum disease, including gingivitis and periodontitis, are common in older individuals. They are caused by a buildup of bacteria-laden dental plaque.
- Root decay occurs when gum tissues recede and expose tooth roots. Because they are porous and have no protective enamel layer, the roots are more vulnerable to decay.
- Darkened teeth are often the result of stains or changes in the tooth’s dentin, which is the naturally yellow-colored tissue that lies beneath enamel.
- Dry mouth is caused by reduced saliva flow, which may be related to certain diseases, prescription medications, and cancer treatments.
- Diminished sense of taste can be caused by the natural aging process, medications, and dentures.
- Tooth loss is typically caused by gum disease.
- Denture-induced stomatitis is an inflammation of tissues beneath a denture. Poor dental hygiene or fungal growth may be to blame.
- An uneven jawbone may develop over time when missing teeth are not replaced.
Dental Care for Seniors: Hygiene Tips for Healthy Smiles
To avoid gingivitis, periodontitis, root decay, and other preventable problems, practice good oral hygiene consistently. Brush your teeth at least twice every day, floss between teeth once a day, and visit your dentist in South Ocala on a regular basis for early detection and treatment of any oral health problems.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in South Ocala, call Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road today at (352) 433-4934 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Ocala. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road.