Dealing with Healing After Tooth Extraction
Most people recover from a tooth extraction in about a week, but you can ease and speed the healing process with the proper aftercare. Use this guide to find toothache relief and get better faster.
Face the First 24 Hours
Right after pulling teeth, expect some slight bleeding, swelling, and pain. The level of pain will be based on the number of teeth pulled, your tolerance for pain, signs of infection, and the complexity of the overall tooth extraction. Any discomfort or distress should steadily subside after the first day, but if the pain gets worse, it may be due to a dangerous condition called dry socket. Your dentist will enable a blood clot to form in the socket after a tooth extraction, which aids in healing the area. If that clot gets dislodged, then dry socket can occur and cause a painful infection that requires urgent care and medication. This only occurs in a small number of cases, but it’s important to take every precaution to ensure a speedy and safe recovery.
Help for Healing
Now that you know what to expect after a tooth extraction, you need to know how to handle it. Luckily, you can get toothache relief after pulling teeth with these simple steps:
- Take painkillers for toothache relief as prescribed by your dentist.
- Avoid forcefully rinsing, spitting, or sucking after a tooth extraction to ensure that you don’t disrupt the protective blood clot in the socket, which allows the wound to heal.
- Apply ice packs to the face or jaw to reduce swelling and pain.
- Eat soft foods and drink liquids for the first few days after a tooth extraction, but slowly add back solid foods after that time.
- Gently rinse your mouth with warm, salty water a few times each day to help reduce pain, swelling, and the risk of infection.
- Continue to brush and floss your teeth as always, but be careful to avoid dislodging the blood clot.
- Follow any additional instructions from your dentist and you should be able to resume normal activities in about a week.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in South Ocala, call Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road today at (352) 433-4934 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Ocala. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road.