A Quick Reference Guide for Handling a Dental Emergency
Dental emergencies are common, and they often result in serious damage to teeth and soft tissues. Evaluation by an emergency dentist is essential for saving teeth, preventing infection, and avoiding more extensive and costly treatment in the future. Here’s a brief guide for handling a dental emergency until you can get professional dental care from a dentist in South Ocala.
Gum, Tongue, and Lip Injuries
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water
- Apply moistened gauze or a tea bag to the injured area and hold firmly in place for 10 to 20 minutes
- Apply a cold compress to reduce bleeding and relieve pain
- Visit an emergency dentist in South Ocala
- Go the emergency room if bleeding will not stop
- Hold the tooth by its crown and rinse with water
- Do not scrub the tooth or remove any attached tissue fragments
- Try to reinsert the tooth into its socket, but don’t force it
- If you cannot reinsert the tooth, place it in milk and take it with you to the dentist
- Apply a cold compress if the tooth is only partly dislodged
- Visit an emergency dentist in South Ocala right away
- Rinse your mouth and any broken tooth pieces
- Apply gauze if there is bleeding
- Use a cold compress to reduce swelling and relieve pain
- See your dentist in South Ocala as soon as possible
- If a crown falls off, see your dentist soon—and take the crown with you
- To treat pain until you can see your dentist in South Ocala, apply clove oil to the tooth with a cotton swab
- Coat the inside of the crown with dental cement or denture adhesive, if possible, and place it back on the tooth
- Place sugar-free chewing gum into the open cavity—not sugar-filled gum which will cause pain—or use an over-the-counter temporary-filling product
- See your dentist as soon as you can
Quickly Find an Affordable Dentist in South Ocala
In a dental emergency, you locate an affordable dentist by performing an online search, checking the phone book, or asking a local hospital for referrals. The faster you get professional dental care, the more likely you’ll be to keep your smile intact.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in South Ocala, call Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road today at (352) 433-4934 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Ocala. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road.