8 Tips for Preventing Cavities
Staying proactive about tooth decay prevention ensures that you’ll enjoy your healthy smile for a lifetime. When you eat carbohydrate foods, they stick to your teeth and encourage the formation of plaque. Tooth decay happens when acids from accumulated plaque dissolve your tooth enamel and the layer of dentin beneath it. The small holes left behind are commonly known as cavities or dental caries. Preventing cavities and keeping supporting gum tissues healthy are the goals of every dental care routine.
The following tips can help you win the war on plaque and conquer tooth decay:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. If possible, brush after every meal and before bed. Following with a fluoride mouthwash also helps.
- Clean between teeth daily by flossing or using interdental cleaners.
- Drink fluoridated water. If your water is not fluoridated or you have existing problems with tooth decay, talk to your dentist about using supplemental fluoride to help strengthen your teeth.
- Eat healthy, balanced meals, and limit your between-meal snacks. Avoid candy and carbohydrate-filled foods like chips, cookies, and crackers. These foods remain on the surface of teeth and encourage plaque formation. If you do consume sticky or sugary foods, brush your teeth immediately afterwards.
- Consider dental sealants. These products are plastic coatings applied to the chewing surface of molars to protect them from tooth decay.
- Visit your dentist in South Ocala regularly for oral exams. Routine visits can check the progress of any existing dental issues, and detect new problems before they become serious.
- Get your teeth professionally cleaned by a dental hygienist at least once a year.
- Stay aware of new developments in tooth decay prevention. Promising treatments include xylitol, dental materials that release fluoride slowly over time, and oral care products that reverse or heal early cavities.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in South Ocala, call Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road today at (352) 433-4934 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Ocala. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road.