Teach Your Teens How to Prevent Gum Disease
Family dentistry experts know that talking to your teens about dental care can be a challenge. During visits, they can help communicate the importance of good oral hygiene to prevent gum disease like gingivitis. In fact, an affordable dentist with a friendly, neutral personality can be a parent’s greatest ally. However, a dentist can’t be with your teens when they are brushing and flossing at home, so it’s up to you to be sure their dental care and eating habits don’t threaten their oral health.
The following seven tips can help you understand ways to prevent gum disease in teens, so you can instill healthy ideas and diligent dental care practices into their lives.
1. Flossing is not going to be on the list of things your teens think of as cool, and you’ll encounter resistance if you discourage them from consuming sugary foods and drinks.
2. You can emphasize the need for proper dental care habits by reminding teens that they may face criticism from peers if they have obvious signs of poor dental health.
3. Your teens may not pay much attention to the condition of their toothbrushes, but brushes become ineffective after about three months. Be sure to keep their bathrooms fully stocked with new brushes, dental floss, and appealing toothpastes.
4. Regular visits to an affordable dentist are essential, but never use them as a punishment, even if your teens have been demonstrating poor dental care. Keep the subject positive, and tell your teens they will feel better after the visit.
5. Limit the consumption of sugary foods and drinks by keeping healthy alternatives in your home. Fresh fruits, vegetables, milk, and water are great choices. Milk may even help to prevent periodontal disease.
6. Fluctuating hormone levels during puberty can increase a teenage girl’s risk of gum disease. Pay especially close attention to the dental care routines of your female children.
7. Schedule routine professional dental cleanings for your teens at your local family dentistry office, and don’t hesitate to ask questions about their dental care. Your dentist in Ocala will have many resources and treatments to help ensure that your teens keep healthy smiles for life.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Ocala, call Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road today at (352) 433-4934 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Ocala. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road.