Get Relief from Painful Chipped Teeth
If you chip or fracture your tooth, you may be in pain. Injuries that involve damage to a tooth’s dentin or pulp can result in toothache, pain when chewing, and sensitivity to temperature. Your symptoms may be constant or come and go, but it’s important to see your dentist immediately or as soon as possible for expert evaluation and treatment of your chipped tooth. Delaying your visit could cause infection and other serious complications, including tooth loss. If you’re worried about treatment costs, an affordable dentist can help you determine the best course of action. While you’re waiting to see your dentist, here are a few tips to help you get relief from the pain.
Tips for Easing the Pain of a Chipped Tooth
- Avoid foods and drinks that are cold or hot. Drink beverages without ice. Allow warm drinks to cool to room temperature.
- Avoid consuming food or drinks that are high in sugar or acid. Examples of acidic foods include, tomatoes, oranges, lemons, and coffee.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Never place aspirin or any other medication directly on your tooth; this can burn the tissue.
- Floss between the chipped teeth and adjacent teeth. Food or debris lodged between teeth can increase pain.
- Try oil of cloves, also known as eugenol. Soak a piece of cotton in the oil, and hold it against the painful area for about 10 seconds. Be careful not to swallow the oil. You can find eugenol at most health food retailers.
- Use temporary dental cement or filling material to temporarily seal a crack or hole.
- Sleep with extra pillows to keep your head elevated at night; this reduces the pressure around the area of the injured tooth and may help alleviate pain.
- Rinse your mouth with warm, salty water several times each day. It soothes pain and helps keep bacterial growth under control.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Ocala, call Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road today at (352) 433-4934 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Ocala. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Shady Road.